Sunday, April 24, 2011

Public Broadcasting?

For as long as I can remember, public broadcasting has been the one station I was allowed to watch. I did not watch cable when I was child- we simply did not have cable. I grew up watching PBS with Arthur and the concert series on the weekends. What I've come to find, and what has become a most devastating realization about my childhood, is that even PBS has accepted gifts from political parties.

This is most disappointing. I vaguely remember watching Arthur and then all of a sudden there was a commercial for something (which I didn't understand at the time) which somewhat resembled a political ad. Well, my suspicions have been confirmed in this article, which notes that PBS accepted a gift from the GOP and FCC- "permission for public broadcasters to commercialize some of their new digital channels."

Well that just doesn't sit well with me. The reason we did not pay for cable when I was a child was so that I would not be exposed to blatant political support and corruption and would be able to make my own decisions without the influence of colorful ads and pretty music.

If even PBS is commercializing, who can we possibly trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment