Thursday, April 7, 2011

Refreshing Perspective

On Tuesday, we had a guest speaker in class, Legal Insurrection founder and blogger William Jacobson. The law professor at Cornell University started this conservative blog as a small forum to express his views with friends and family. Eventually, it was picked up and linked to by slightly larger blogs, and through some networking efforts, Legal Insurrection has become one of the most recognized conservative blogs.

The visit was an incredibly refreshing one. I must admit I was slightly nervous that we would hit a nerve with the differences in political opinion floating around the room, but it was actually one of the best presentations I have heard.

Something I really appreciated was the fact that he was very transparent with why he does what he does, especially on the financial front. I also really appreciated that he both understood and respected the fact that most people in the room were liberal or left-leaning, and expressly stated exactly what he wrote about and why.

He mentioned that he would not purposefully bash a right wing person if they did something that was not in their political favor as he would a left wing, he would simply not mention it. I respected that because he was completely honest with us, and if we are honest with ourselves, we can admit that this is how all media people work, whether we like to admit it or not.

Overall, I truly appreciated the visit and feel like I have gotten a good perspective from the other side of the political spectrum, which was, as I have aid, incredibly refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment